Saturday 8 December 2012

BiS x Dorothy Little Happy: GET YOU Music Video (The Wei-view)



AzuPon's Thoughts:
For myself, that's bias with Avex in general this hasn't been the first time I heard of both groups. BiS (which stands for Brand-New Idol Society) are unique in their image, edge, and vocal range. Dorothy Little Happy which is a local idol group from the Miyagi Area in Japan just this year signed up with Avex Trax has the usual idol format but still has a sweet sound. Which makes both groups really refreshing to hear. In their collaboration for their 1st joint single called, GET YOU, which will be release on 1/9/2013 has shown a lot symbolism and style to this song.

For both groups really represent their styles fully here! Which is why I really like both of them as a whole. For example, BiS may not be everyone's ideal idol group but you really got to give these girls credit on how hard they work of their cool image and their sound in this track really brings balance to DLH's vocals. Yes, they have a dark edge but their true charm shines proudly in the music video. While Dorothy Little Happy pulls in the light airy feel and sound to the track. Their white outfits represents that image perfectly. Overall, I really enjoy this video for delivering that very fact, also showing how fun both groups had with their playtime moments, and just how two different styles comes together to bring great harmony. Both BiS and DLH have made me a new fan of both! My rating for this music video gets a 8.8 of 10 stars.


Nerupon's Thoughts:
First of all I want to mark this is my first time "blogging" on the PonPon Wei: Yoroshiku Onegaishimasu!!

Normally I don't listen to other songs then H!P and UFA but lately I am trying to listen to other idols too.. So this is a good start! I have never listened to a song from BiS or Dorothy Little Happy before, but I remember reading "Dorothy Little Happy" a lot on the internet so that's why I can keep their groupname in my mind. As well didn't I know who Dorothy and who BiS were, but after all I'm happy I could tell them apart. Since Dorothy's groupname sounds cute, you could guess that the girls in the white dresses were the members.

From my first impression I have to tell I like Dorothy more, some of them have that cute idol look like the girl at 0:18~ She's totally my favourite after watching the whole video. BiS in my opinion.. they're really weird. 1:00 for example, the girl at the left has a really weird shape of face which really scares me. And I don't know who cut the hair from the girl at 1:00, but it's freaking weird. The girl with the short hair looks old to me. And this girl (1:58) is pretty, but she has a weird chubby face (I don't hate chubby but it looks a bit weird on her) and she really does not amuse standing there. Overall I'm not even happy with Dorothy since only the girl with the ponytails looks an idol to me. I guess I'm just a bit picky with idols? They're not bad though, just a bit.. different or not like I expect idols to be.

Now about the singing.. I'm pretty dissapointed. They all miss power and emotion. It's a serious song with a lot of feelings so why are they sounding so bored?! Even if they can sing really good, emotionless voices are just a no for me. This song is kick-ass but the flat sounding voices make it boring. If some of these girls would sing more powerfull I wouldn't be bored after listening for one minute. The only thing that really gets me everytime is the opening line. Overall I like the song, the little autotune parts are a nice add! Which I like the most is the ending from the song, makes me feel happy and peacefull.

Finally the mv itself. It seems like a group of angels and a group of witches playing "Jankenpyon!" and slow-motions from slapping each other. The part in the middle which seems like a making-off speed up with chipmunk voices is also pretty random (but I guess this is the edit in 'edited version'). I liked their close-ups though, the Dorothy ones seemed angelic and the BiS ones seemed devilish. Not counting the awkward slapping and Jankenpyon parts, I liked the pv! But the black hats from BiS or whatever they are seem a bit out of place lol no big deal. I can't say I really loved this mv, but it's good.

If I would give this marks, I give this a 7/10.



Pon-Chii's Thoughts:

I want to firstly get it out there that I am not a fan of either of these groups; BiS are known for their weird and different outlook on Idol Society, being a bit abstract from what other Idol groups are like... and they are definitely a lot weirder than MomoClo, by far! With Dorothy Little Happy, I just don't pay attention...

So, this is my first time listening to GET YOU. For a song that BiS are involved in, I find that it's really tame... and very Tokyo Girls' Style. It sounds like something Avex would bring out, definitely, but I find that it's a song which really allows us to appreciate the vocal ability of BiS, because most of the stuff they bring out is a lot heavier, so I barely listen to it because of that factor, and I don't find myself appreciating their voices. Here it's a different matter; they are clear, and they actually have really nice voices. I was surprised.

The song is nice, too. It's really catchy, but again, reminds me of TGS and SweetS. It also has auto-tune, though it isn't heavy and I actually had to listen out for it, so it's pretty subtle and adds a good effect to the song. It seems like the sort of song that Dorothy Little Happy may sing again and again, being poppy and fun, but not overly generic or sugary sweet to the point where I want to pull my teeth out.

The video itself is very good, showing both of the groups personalities and individual styles well. DLH has this sweet, innocent look to them, very much like TGS, whilst BiS have a more mature and rebellious look, creating a Yin and Yang effect. The video features slapping, which is quite weird to be honest, but works effectively for both groups; it shows off that playful side to group as well as their more forceful, competetive sides, showing off the bond of a friendly rivalry between the girls of BiS and DLH. It works really well, and whilst nothing much else goes on in the video, I find that it works effectively for both groups.

GET YOU is a good video and a nice song. It's fun and catchy, and it shows off the earthy, mature tones of BiS' vocals which really compliment the innocent, raw tone of Dorothy Little Happy perfectly. It has that familiar Avex sound to it, meaning TGS and SweetS, that we all know quite well, but it doesn't sound generic or too girlish and child-like like it could have done. It's an effective song, and the video works well with both groups, showing off the differences between the girls but cementing that friendly rivalry that they are sure to have together as competing Avex groups.

I give it a hearty ~ 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment